Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Carpe Diem Seize the Day Latin Quote Happiness Tote Bag

Carpe Diem translates into English as ‘seize the day’, and is probably the most popular and famous Latin quote. Strangely though, many people may not realise it forms part of a longer quote, ‘Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero’ (‘Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future’).

Is Carpe Diem popular because we all do seize the day or popular because we all wished we could seize the day? How many popular movie, TV, theatre and literature characters are popular exactly because they do seize the day? The characters that seems to never fear consequence, never concern themselves with where they might end up.

I wish I could seize the day more. I think back to fudged interviews, nights out when I stayed in, and missed kisses with girls I liked a little too much not to be shy. I wish I could seize the day more, but I’m a planner. There always has to be a plan, an end game.

Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future. But don’t we need to trust the future a little? Isn’t that what faith is? There’s something reckless about Carpe Diem; a careless, almost hedonistic, disregard for consequence. I know I regard consequence too much, but maybe that explains the popularity of Carpe Diem?

There’s an internal conflict that exists within all of us, between the need to enjoy the moment and the need to consider the future. Perhaps this is why, we all need to keep Carpe Diem central in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment